Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie, a Hercule Poirot mystery

I have not read Agatha Christie before, so I wanted to see what a mystery by one of the masters of the genre was like. She sets up a good story with a variety of interesting characters, and has a sly, dry sense of humor, poking fun at human nature with sometimes rather comical characters. The mysteries are timeless, though I caught an anti-Semitic statement in there (this was written in the 1920s). The British words and phrases sometimes confounded me, as well as spelling the word “clue” as “clew.”

I tried to figure out “whodunit” on my own, but I guessed wrong. The problem is that we are not privy to all the clues that Christie’s hero, the great detective, Hercule Poirot is. He painstakingly put together all the subtle “clews” that I glossed over, and in his final summary revealed some things that I, the reader, didn’t know, so don’t feel bad if you don’t guess correctly! It’s a fun, quick read that kept me interested. I would like to read more of her books now and then. Maybe I’ll try something starring her heroine, Miss Marple.

No comments: