Thursday, May 3, 2007

Cupcake


by Rachel Cohn

Defiantly not a book on cooking! Let's join our heroine CC as she embarks on the road to adult hood. Fresh from high school CC decides to chase her dreams and move to Manhattan to live with her brother. Only problem is that it is harder to let go of her first love then she imagined. CC learns that life isn't what you dream it to be but what you make it to be. Along the way she discovers her true family in life and what it means to truly be yourself.

I will admit at first I wasn't very enthusiastic about reading this book. The first couple chapters were very hard to follow because the main character, CC was very adolescent in her views and vocabulary, almost like the writer was trying too hard to make her seem like a 18 year old. As the pages turn and you learned more of the characters it became clearer that the writing was not forced but intentional in order for you to see CC's growth as a person and how she was maturing in thought and personality; which made the book more rich and enjoyable.

I enjoyed the odd characters like Max and Mold; whom I would imagine to be actual people living in a town like New York. I couldn't help become attached to the characters and feel the love, happiness and sadness as life took it's hold on all of them. The book ended well and I got a good happy feeling out of my experiences with it. So I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes "journey of life" stories.

Click here to add this book to your wishlist on Bookmooch.

Tesse
BookMooch Inventory
Librarything

PS... I know this wasn't on my list but I couldn't find my other book I listed as a choice so I just grabbed this one off my pile. I will find the original book and read it too.. :)

No comments: