Friday, May 11, 2007

The Hunting Wind by Steve Hamilton


This is the third installment of the Alex McKnight PI series, starting with A Cold Day in Paradise.

Burned out ex-cop turned 'reluctant' PI is living in Paradise, a small town in upper Michigan, watching his favourite Tigers on TV in his favourite (and apparently only) local pub.
One such evening a ghost from his past appears, Randy, whom he last saw 30 years ago. Not only that, but Randy wants him to find his old girlfriend lost for...yeah, 30 years exactly.
Alex, soft hearted as he is, goes down to Michigan to start the investigations which brings him surprise after surprise, and none of them very pleasant, as it turns out. Even Randy is not all that he seems to be...

Ever since I read the first novel, I got taken with this author and made sure that I got all the rest in the series (or put them on my wishlist if not available).
Alex is so well characterised, as if he were here with you, a real person. None of those 2d type cardboard characters. He's funny, sad, ironic, witty. He made me laugh, made me smile, made me smirk, have my heart stop for a beat, made me live vicariously through him, his view on things.

I was only sorry not to have seen Vinnie LeBlanc, his Ojibwa Indian friend, in this episode. The two of them have a chemistry that really cracks me up at times. Oh well, maybe in the next installment.

Reviewed by Marika
http://bookmooch.com/m/inventory/kislany

1 comment:

Dee said...

Have you ever read JA Jance? Is this anything like her books, or maybe along the lines of Tony Hillerman? My hubby loves both of these authors, but has read them all and needs a new author.