Monday, May 28, 2007

Wild Design by Katie Fforde

Truthfully, I'm not entirely sure how this book wound up in my TBR pile. It's not what I'd normally read, or pick up, or acquire, but... it was there, and when I started running out of May before I got to my second original choice (Physics & Philosophy, now moved to June), I figured it'd be a reasonably quick read, and not distract too much from the studying I'm supposed to be doing right now.

As it turned out, well... Wild Design *is* better than reading Financial Reporting Standards (that studying I mentioned). But that's about all I can say for it. This book is everything I hate about chicklit, and a perfect example of why I don't tend to read that genre. The 'heroine' is a doormat. She spends most of the book sabotaging herself for no discernible reason, letting her friends and family walk all over her, and laying down so her kids can't help but walk over her whether they want to or not. She loses her job, decides on a new career as a garden designer... and then spends the rest of the book running around like a headless chicken, chasing everything but her dream, except by accident. She can't seem to imagine why the hero would be interested in her, and frankly, the way she treats him, I can't either. Seriously, I wanted to smack her.

The 'hero'... well, I suppose he was okay, all two dimensions of him.

I *did* finish the book, but only because it really was better than memorising FRS.

This one's available for mooching. In fact, please mooch it. You can have it free (I'll return the points for this one, if you tell me you're from the TBR club/blog in the comment).

No comments: