Friday, May 4, 2007

Pigs In Heaven by B. Kingsolver

Although this book could "stand alone", I think a person would enjoy it most if they first read The Bean Trees. Pigs In Heaven picks up where The Bean Trees left off. The main characters are the same, with new people introduced.

Turtles young life was a sad life: there was abuse and abandonement. But Taylor takes her in and loves her as her own. Unfortunately, Turtle is Cherokee, and the adoption through which Taylor makes Turtle her daugher is illegal according to Cherokee law. Will Taylor loose this child who she has come to love more than her own life? Will Turtle's life continue to be one of loss and despair due to being taken from the mom she has come to know and love? I can't tell you that...it would be a spoiler for sure.

But I can tell you that this book was very enjoyable...a must read after having read The Bean Trees. I suggest you read them both!

2 comments:

Mary said...

You know, I had the Bean Trees in my inventory and let it go, now I wish I hadn't. Oh well, there is always another mooch to be had.
Mary

Kathy said...

I just went to a book reading by Barbara Kingsolver in Dallas last week. I've never read any of her books, but she was an excellent speaker and very nice. I got a copy of "Bean Trees" for her to autograph and plan on reading it soon.