Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell


I loved this Book! Ms. Russell manages to combine Jesuits, interstellar travel, child prostitution, artificial intelligence and soul searching in an extraordinary combination that left me feeling as if I knew most of these character intimately. I was not only enthralled with these people, I wished I could meet them! The novel moves between the year 2016 when this odd assortment of people meet, become friends and prepare for an other worldly journey and 2060 where we learn the results of this mission to Rakhat. As unlikely as this all seems, it is a wonderful coalescence of adventure, mystery, spirituality and friendship!
I was supposed to review The Children of God the sequel to this, but I figured I would post this first. I also read her Thread of Grace, a very different type of writing than this but equally wonderful.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I loved this book, too. Normally I'm not a big SciFi fan, but this one really got to me, I think because I felt so close to all the characters. I just HAD to read the sequel to find out what happened to everyone.